Alcohol and weight loss are not compatible. I’ll tell you why, but I’ll also tell you how you can drink alcohol and still lose weight.
Alcohol hurts your body’s fat burning mechanisms!
Your body has built in storage areas for fats and carbohydrates. Your body does not have the ability to store alcohol.
Because of this, your body will oxidize alcohol ahead of carbohydrates, fat and protein.
Fat burning is severely suppressed when you drink alcohol because fat is at the bottom of the oxidative chain.
The main takeaway here is that when alcohol is present in your system, your body will convert more of the food you eat into body fat.
Alcohol is full of empty calories.
Empty calories have no nutritional value. Limiting your intake of weight loss fast shark empty calories is very important to prevent weight gain.
Here’s how alcohol and weight loss can go hand in hand…
If you want to drink occasionally, the following tips can stop you from derailing your weight loss efforts.
1. Choose low calorie mixed drinks and light beer. Most of the delicious mixed drinks are loaded with sugar. I love fruity margaritas, but when I found out how much sugar is in them I was absolutely shocked.
Look for alternatives that are low in sugar or sugar free. Use diet sodas or something like Crystal Light.
Bajabob.com has a list of sugar free drink mixes to choose from.
2. If you’re counting calories, add the alcohol calories into your daily total. You can easily find out the calorie content of different drinks by searching Google.
If you drink but stay within your calorie limits you may still be able to burn off fat.
3. Eat before you drink. You do not want to drink then go fill up on lots of junk food.
Think about this – you drink 800 calories or more worth of alcohol and then eat a bunch of junk food. You’ll probably store enough fat to mess up days of workouts and good eating.
Try eating a filling meal 2 to 3 hours before you get your drink on. The food will have time to digest and this should also decrease the likelihood that you’ll binge on junk after you drink.
4. Drink water. Alcohol causes dehydration. When you’re dehydrated, you don’t burn fat efficiently.
In addition to your regular daily water intake, drink 8 ounces of water for every alcoholic drink that you have.
5. Practice self control. When you drink try to limit yourself to just a couple of drinks to minimize the damage.